Nine benefits of deep tissue massage therapy
An intense massage technique used to treat musculoskeletal disorders like sports injuries and strains is called deep tissue massage therapy. In this particular massage therapy, sustained pressure is applied through slow and deep strokes. These strokes target the inner muscle layers and connective tissues. This helps in the breaking of scar tissue that is formed after an injury.
In the cosmopolitan town of Manchester back pain is a prevalent medical condition among the young population. Therefore, Manchester deep tissue massage therapists employ many methods to relieve chronic aches and pains. One such process is stripping, which applies deep pressure to the length of the muscle fibres. This causes the breaking of muscle adhesions and aligns the muscle tissue fibres.
There are several benefits to opting for deep tissue massage therapy. Let us look into a few advantages of deep tissue massage therapy-
- Relief from stress and enables relaxation- While undergoing deep tissue massage therapy, there is a decrease in cortisol levels and an increase in oxytocin levels. The hormone oxytocin has soothing effects and thereby relaxes the body. The massage can also boost the release of feel-good hormones like endorphins, serotonin and dopamine which relaxes the human body. Deep tissue massage therapy can reduce physical symptoms of stress like tight shoulder muscles and tension headaches.
- Reduces pain and inflammation – Several ailments such as chronic back pain, plantar fasciitis, fibromyalgia and stiff necks can be treated with deep tissue massage therapy. A 2017 research study concluded that deep tissue massage therapy is more effective than therapeutic massage for curing chronic back pain. It can also improve respiratory function and help in chronic constipation.
- Decreases blood pressure and heart rate- Systolic, diastolic, and arterial blood pressure is reduced because deep tissue massage therapy reduces stress and tension.
- Rehabilitation of injured muscles- In the case of sports-related injuries, many athletes prefer deep tissue massage therapy because it delays the onset of muscle soreness and reduces muscle fatigue. Massage therapy also prevents further injuries.
- Reduces arthritis symptoms- Symptoms of arthritis include stiffness, sleep issues, limited motion in joints, etc. Moderate pressure applied in deep tissue massage therapy can reduce arthritis pain and relieve tension from joints.
- Assists in labour and delivery- During pregnancy, women who opt for deep tissue massage therapy are able to control their pain and undergo pregnancy for a shorter duration. Prenatal massage therapy has also proved effective in reducing leg pain, back pain, depression and anxiety.
- Makes movement easier and increases range of motion- There is a reduction of swelling around the injury through massage therapy. Thus, deep tissue massage therapy restores the range of motion after an injury.
- Enables better sleep- Since there is a natural release of the hormone serotonin, patients undergoing deep tissue massage therapy are able to sleep better.
- Break-up scar tissue- Deep tissue massage therapy improves lymphatic circulation and drainage. It promotes flexibility around the area of a scar, thereby causing the break-up of scar tissue.
There are several clinics in Manchester offering both physiotherapy and deep tissue massage therapy to the required individuals. In Manchester physiotherapy and massage therapy are available at cost-effective prices.
Are you suffering from back, shoulder or neck pain? Book an appointment with the CT Clinic today!