Debunking Popular Myths Associated with Physiotherapy
A diversified health care profession or practice that offers assistance to the functioning, movement and overall well-being of individuals is called physiotherapy. Individuals who have been diagnosed with musculoskeletal pain ailments face confusion regarding the consultation of health experts. Depending on the injury/ailment and training of experts, Didsbury chiropractors and physiotherapists offer prognosis and treatment for musculoskeletal pain ailments. Except for necessary and worst medical cases, both Manchester chiropractors and physiotherapists do not encourage the usage of drugs or suggest surgery as an alternative.
Although the roots of physiotherapy may date as old as 2000 years, the practice is not outdated or invalid in the modern era. However, there are several misconceptions associated with the application of physiotherapy.
Let us look into a few such myths and stereotypes that are associated with physiotherapy.
- Physiotherapy is only for sports injuries – The popular belief that physiotherapy is only for the treatment of sports injuries is false. The expertise of physiotherapists is not restricted to muscle and ligaments ailments. Instead, they are qualified to treat a diverse range of injuries including, vestibular rehabilitation, stroke management, joint and back pain, vertigo issues etc. Physiotherapy is recommended for those who have temporarily lost motor function because of injuries or post-surgery recoveries.
- Physiotherapists only heal post-injuries – Through detailed history and assessment, well-trained physiotherapists are capable of identifying areas that are more prone to the risk of injury. This type of treatment is essential for the prevention of injuries during sports activities.
- Physiotherapy is a remodelled version of massage therapy – Massage therapy is recommended for relaxation purposes. People often stereotype physiotherapy as a health care practice that only involves walking and stretching. However, physiotherapies involve comprehensive physical examination and treatment plans. Physiotherapists use a wide range of techniques for the diagnosis and cure of ailments. These techniques include massage, acupuncture, laser and heat therapy. Furthermore, physiotherapists engage in muscle contraction and exercises rather than manipulation of joints.
- Physiotherapy sessions have long durations – The recovery rate and treatment plan vary among patients since physiotherapy focuses more on long term goals and gradual gains. In Manchester physiotherapy emphasizes and focuses more on rehabilitation and injury prevention. Similarly, in Didsbury physiotherapy promotes mobility, health, and wellness among patients.
- Non-availability of insurance schemes for physiotherapy – Multiple insurance companies have provisions to cover the expenses of physiotherapy. However, the parameters of the insurance policy will be different for each company.
- Physiotherapeutic treatments are expensive – The prevalent myth that physiotherapy sessions are expensive is false. Many physiotherapists offer treatment and home health care services at reasonable rates. Additionally, these treatments are easily accessible for people.
- Physiotherapy sessions are not required for those who exercise regularly at the gym – Another stereotype associated with physiotherapy is that individuals who regularly exercise or go to the gym consistently do not require physiotherapy. There is no connection between gym routines and physiotherapy. Physiotherapy is deployed for chronic pain management and treating muscular injuries, whereas the former is for increasing stamina and strength of muscles.
Are you suffering from back, shoulder or neck pain? Book an appointment with the CT Clinic today!